[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogoths in Italy, Britain or China (or on the moon?)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Feb 6 10:05:35 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> The common opinion is that the Heruls probably lived somewhere in
southern
> Denmark - Northern Germany

Hello Tore,

do you know what the source for this claim is that the Heruls came
from modern Southern Denmark/North Germany? I know, older books like
Felix Dahn 'Die Goten' make this claim, but I would like to know what
the basis of it is. There was a discussion about a certain west
Germanic influence in Gothic or something like this on this list or on
the Germanic list. Maybe the Heruls are the explanation for this?

(I can't find that Procopius claims that
they
> originated from Thule) and when the Goths moved from the Vistula
area to
> the Black Sea area the Heruls followed in their steps. After that
various
> Roman sources tell about the Heruls together with or dominated by
the Goths.
> The Heruls as well as part of the Goths (Ostrogoths) were subdued by
the
> Huns. When Attila died on his wedding night and the Hun empire
dissolved
> the Heruls formed their own kingdom in present day Hungary. When
they we
> beaten by the Lombards about 505 Prokopius says that part of the
tribe
> moved to where they had heard there were good lands, Ultima Thule,
the
> farthest away lands known from the Roman Empire. (Iceland and
Greenland
> were not inhabited at that time.)
>
> Origin of Svear:
> "The Heruls (jarlarna)

Is 'jarlarna' supposed to be another name of the Heruls?

was a Scandinavian people that together with
Gutans
> or the Goths, as the Romans called them, ravaged the Black Sea, Asia
Minor
> and the Mediterranean from the 4th century. After having been
subdued first
> by the Goths and later by the Huns, those emigrated Heruls, middle
of the
> 5th, century founded a state in upper Hungary. There are several
stories
> how the Heruls ravaged the coasts of the Black Sea and the
Mediterranean,
> alone and together with the Goths, why they must be considered as
good
> seamen.

I am not convinced of their seamanship. Hervig Wolfram (and
Geroge Vernadsky) describes these sea attacks as a complete shambles,
in which the Goths and Heruls relied on Borani and other local people
to take them were they wanted to go.

Also, I maybe wrong here, but if I remember correctly those Heruls at
the sea of Azov are actually called Heluri (Greek for swamp-dweller).
Are there other sources that confirm the identification of these
Heluri with the Heruli?

>They were sought after soldiers in the Roman Imperial
Guards.
> According to Roman sources they were a more primitive people than
other
> Germanic peoples. The troops of Odovakar that assumed power in the
Western
> Empire in 476 contained, according to sources, to a large extent
Heruls.
> That state was, however, soon overrun by the Ostrogoths.
> Prokopios says (See note 2) that some years later the Herul state in
upper
> Hungary was smashed. He thinks of the Heruls, that had emigrated to
the
> south of Russia and to start with had been under the Ostrogoths and
the
> Huns but after the fall of the Hun Empire had erected an independent
state
> on the north side of the Danube on the border of present time Mähren
and
> Hungary. About the year 505, after quarrelling with the Lombards,
they were
> forced to leave this area. Some of the Heruls settled in Illyria
under the
> protection of the Eastroman Emperor, but others could not, says
Prokopios,
> decide to cross the Danube but settled in the furthest parts of the
> inhabited world. They returned to Thule (the Scandinavian
penin-sula) and
> settled next to the Gauts at the same time as a powerful Svea state
with
> strong kings emerged in the Lake Mälar Area.
> Guided by numerous members of its royalty they passed all the native
lands
> of the Slavic peoples (probably from lower Danube to upper Vistula
and
> further west), marched from here through a large part of vacant land
and
> came to a people called the Varner. From there they came to the sea,
> crossed the sea and went to the island Thule where they settled.
> Thule is a very large island, Prokopios continues, over ten times as
large
> as Britannia. The largest part is desolate, but in the inhabited
parts
> there are thirteen populous tribes, who each has a king. One
populous tribe
> was the Gauts and it was next to them that the Herulic newcomers
settled.
> Much later - guesses are both at the end of the 520s and the middle
of the
> 540s - it happened that the king of those Heruls remaining in the
south was
> killed and that these Heruls in order to get a new king of the old
line
> sent messengers to the part of the tribe that lived in Thule.

Is that really plausible? They run out of kings and nobody of the
elite is keen to take on the job? Instead they travel all over Europe
to get a 'new' one to tell them what to do? History usually doesn't
work like this, but who knows, maybe the Heruls were different.

>Here
they
> found many of royal blood and chose the one they liked most. During
the
> journey south, however, he fell ill and died in the lands of the
Danes. In
> order not to return empty handed the messengers were forced once
more to go
> to Thule. By this action they became so much delayed that their
principals
> gave up hope and were persuaded by Emperor Justinianus to take as
their
> king a young Herul educated in Constantinople. When finally the
messengers
> from Thule returned with their proposed king, the imperial protégé
was
> deserted in favour of the newcomer."
>
> Note 2 (page 14)
> Prokopios, who was born at the end of the 5th century, was a lawyer
in
> Constantinople and from the year 527 private secretary to the
military
> commander Belisarius on his campaigns against inter alia the
Ostrogoths in
> Italy. He says that there are 13 populous tribes in Thule (the
Scandinavian
> peninsula), each with its own king. He says: "A populous tribe among
them
> was the gautoi, next to where the arriving Heruls settled".
Prokopios says
> that the Heruls who lived in northern Hungary under Cæsar
Anastasius'
> (491-518) rule attacked the Lombards. However, they were beaten and
their
> king was killed. The Heruls were therefore (about 505) forced to
leave
> their homesteads. Some of them crossed the Danube into Roman
territory,
> where Anastasius allowed them to settle. The remaining part of the
Heruls
> moved northwards. Through the countries of the Varner

Who are those Varner? possibly the Varnen in North-East Germany
(modern Warne-muende?). But at the time of Procopius the Varnen had
long vanished (absorbed into Saxons, Langobards and Thuringians) I
thought.

>and Danes they
> reached the ocean, over which they sailed to Thule.
> In the same chapter, Prokopios  gives a short mention of the Heruls
that
> had immigrated to the Scandinavian peninsula. This is, by the way,
the
> last historical mentioning about Scandinavia by a Greek-Roman
writer. "Thus
> the Heruls, that lived on Roman soil and had slained their king,
sent some
> of their most distinguished men to the island Thule in order to find
and if
> possible bring back a man of royal blood. When they came to the
island they
> found many of royal blood." According to professor Wessén: "The
flourishing
> and numerically strong royal family in Thule, that is mentioned
above, is
> apparently the same under whose guidance part of the Eastherulian
tribe,
> thirty years earlier, had undertaken its march to Scandinavia."

How do the western Heruls fit into this picture? Also, there is a
Bavarian duke called Fara who is said to have been a Herul prince.

In general, there are many different interpretations of the Heruls.
One recent interpretation wants to explain the emergence of the so
called 'Masurgermanische' culture in north Poland in the sixth century
with the migration of the Heruls to that area. Also, another school of
thought seems to think that the Heruls were not really a people at all
but just Germanic mercenaries who banded together in the Danube area.
Also, I heard another historian at the British Museum who used the
haphazardous emergence of Heruls in different  areas as an example of
tribal name displacement rather than  actual migrations.

cheers

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details