[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogoths in Italy, Britain or China (or on the moon?)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Feb 6 10:21:11 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., trbrandt at p... wrote:
> Hej Tore
>
> --- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> > The common opinion is that the Heruls probably lived somewhere in
> southern
> > Denmark - Northern Germany
>
> Which source does this common opinion use? Do you talk about Western
> Heruls?
>
> > (I can't find that Procopius claims that they
> > originated from Thule)
>
> He did not - and he did not claim Southern Denmark or Northern
> Germany. Maybe Jordanes claimed Scania or Sealand.

Hello Troels,

I just asked Tore the same question about the southern Denmark/North
Germany origin of the Heruls. Does Jordanes ever mention names like
'Scania' or 'Sealand' in his works?
I thought he only spoke of this uninhabitable place with cave-dwelling
carnivors, laking honey and sunlight called 'Scandza'.

I thought most authors readily translate this Scandza into Scandinavia
regardless of the fact that authors like Fredegar (640sAD) places his
'Scatanavia' between the Danube and the Ocean' in continental Europe
and the codis gothanis places its Scatanav (perhaps the later
Skadanaw) at the Elbe river. But were does Jordanes speak of 'Sealand'
or Scania?

cheers

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details