[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogoths in Italy, Britain or China (or on the moon?)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Feb 6 10:51:30 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> Hello Troels and Dirk,
> I quite agree with Troels. Procopius not only had contact with
> Suartuas, but with  a lot of Herul officers in Belisar's army. His
> gruesome tales of Herul burial customs, however, do not
> correspond with our archeological knowledge from the fifth and
> sixth century. Of course Dirk is citing Walter Goffart correctly,
but
> Walter commits a lot of errors in his book and his overall picture
of
> Jordanes and his analysis of the Getica as a historical source is
> wrong and therefore also his comparative treatment of Procopius.
> Regards
>         Andreas

Hello Andreas,

It seems to be quite a step to completely discredit an author like
Prof. Goffart. The mathematician in me is always seeking logic and
plausibility, which Goffart's interpretation offers masterly and which
many others lack entirely. However, you may me right, and Goffart is
wrong, but could you point me to some alternative publications
(perferably your own ) on the subject, which are better than Goffart's
book?

cheers

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details