[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Wed Feb 7 02:21:13 UTC 2001

Hello Ingemar

Maybe I am sleepy now, but I am not quite sure I understand you.

Are you talking about Harudes from Jutland (later called Danes?)
attacking the Norwegian coast around 200 AD expelling the Hords
(later called Heruls?) from this coast? Do I understand you correctly?

If so I have three remarks:
1. As far as I know the weapons in Illerup are supposed to belong to
attacking armies (a.o. Norwegean) sacrificed by a victorious local
people.
2. In the 9th century Jutland was called Hreidgotland while the Danes
lived at the islands and in Southwestern Sweden (Ottar). This might
of course have been otherwise 700 years earlier. Actually Broensted
years ago expected Danes from Sweden to settle in Northern Jutland
and Sealand at that time.
3. Procopius wrote about migrations in the 6th century - and he never
said that their travel to Scandinavia was a return.

I am afraid this is more Germanic-List than Gothic-List.

Regards
Troels

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> Hello Tore, Troels et al.,
>
> You have been debating the Heruls. I was just struck by an impuls
that
> maybe could shed some light on the question.
>
> Recently  Jørgen Ilkjær reported from Illeup aadal. A whole army
> equipment with Roman swords and Norwegian combs was found and the
time
> is about 200 AD. Until this time we do not know anything about Danes
> either. The Heruls were forced away from their homes and are
supposed to
> have returned to Scandinavia later, according to Procopius. There
is a
> folk in northern Jutland in Hardsyssel named Harudes. Mighty
warriors
> and early also legionaries with the Romans. Alredy BC, indeed. These
> Harudes conquer that part of Norway now called Hordaland. If this
> happened about 200 AD the Heruls might be Hords, and thus actually
> driven away by a people from the area named Denmark in the time of
> Procopius, even if they were driven away from the Norwegian coast,
which
> indeed is on the Scandinavian peninsula, and the weapons in Illerup
> might be the remains of their final battle against the Harudes,
actually
> living on Jutland and controling the Vonsild system in  northern
> Jutland. Hence they might have had relatives in e.g. the Viken
area -
> now Bohuslaen, which is close  to the Gauts.It is quite fitting the
> Heruls had access to Roman military equipment and behaved like  an
> ordered army.
>
> Just a thought
>
> Ingemar

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups