[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Wed Feb 7 16:03:14 UTC 2001

Hello Ingemar and Troels,
Ingemar, forget your idea, it won't work. Troels is quite right with his
objections. For the Heruls I should like to draw your attention to

 Alvar Ellegard, Who were the Heruli? In: Scandia 53 (1987) pp.5-
34,

who did quite a good analysis of the sources for them from the third
to the sixth century, though his conclusion that they developed in
Bavaria is a bit too sharply drawn. As far as I can see we have to
distinguish between

1) the rather shadowy Black Sea/Maeotis Eluri or Heruli of the third
and fourth century,

2) the Heruli mentioned in the West of the Empire at the end of the
third century, in the Notitia dignitatum and possibly still in the sixth
century in the variae of Cassiodorus and

3) the Central European Heruli after the end of Attila´s reign and
their aftermath treated by Procopius.

The second and third group may be connected (there are some
archeological signs of connections to the Black Sea region in the
Central European material), but it is also possible that only the
names are the same taken from the function as a warrior band
without ethnic connections.

For the first group I would like to point out an article by

Maciej Salamon, The Chronology of Gothic incursions into Asia
Minor in the IIIrd century. In: Eos 59 (1971) pp.109-139

and a volume on the Black Sea coast:

Die Schwarzmeerküste in der Spätantike und im frühen Mittelalter.
Schriften der Balkan-Kommission der Österreichischen Akademie
der Wissenschaften. Antiquarische Abteilung Nr.18 (Wien 1992,
with two articles on the incursions by me and Eckhart Olshausen).

Kind regards
            Andreas
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich