[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Thu Feb 8 03:06:27 UTC 2001

I think that when it comes to the danes and their expansion, it was
probably in full swing in  the 300 c. I think that the heruls were of
west-germanic origin, more closely related  with frisians and saxons
than danes and gauts etc. The connection to the heruls is probably
that the Illerup find is the trace of a major scandinavian expansion
and. a battle that was well-known in it´s time. One researcher on the
Ansaxnet, I don´t remember who, said that Jutland had in the most
part been inhabitated by westger-manic people, right before the jutes
moved to England. One proof was placenames with "war", wara",
thinking that the inhabitants called themselves "menwara" or
something similar. I don´t remember all details, but the main point
was that until the anglo-saxon invasion of England, a  part of
Jutland was still more closely related to frisians and other west-
germanic people than the danes.

If you remember the inscriptions from 300c Illerup-find you can see
WAGNIJO, GAUTAR(or something, meaning gaut or geat and SWARTA(black-
one). In Beowulf you can find the name Swerting. GAUT-, means
probably the same as "geat", meaning the inhabitants in western
Sweden, west of the huge Väner (double?)lake, that is almost divided
in the middle by  peninsulas, islands and skerries. In Västergötland
you can also find what very well could have been the necklace-s,
talked about in Beowulf. Approximately ten km north and south of the
village Brismene, were discovered in the 19th c, huge golden
necklaces, made with techniques that are hard to master even for
goldsmiths of today. Maybe the origin about the legend
about "Brisingamene" or "Brosingamen" as it´s called in the Edda.

http://www.historiska.se/collections/treasures/folkvandring/mone.html

The meaning of erilaR is mainly, I think *EyrilaR, meaning small-
islander, from the small danish islands of Lolland, Mön, Falster and
maybe also Funen. The result of a west-germanic expansion before and
around B.C. into scandinavian settlements. When they came back
(Procopios) their leaders wore late roman helmets like this one.

http://www.historiska.se/collections/treasures/vendel/71.html

They could have built at least one roman-inspired fortress like this
one. It contains steps like in Colosseum and a roman-type metal grid
at the entrance. And the reason for that the Färjestaden necklace got
buried in the 600c, could have been herulic-controlled raids. Most of
them could have settled in the Mälar valley and expanded west into
Gaut-territory, with settlements in NE Skåne, Blekinge and Öland.

http://www.sverigeturism.se/smorgasbord/smorgasbord/provincial/oland/s
ights/south.html

Right at the sharp, still existing language border between Svea-
dialects and Gaut/Göta-dialects, is a stone situated from the 700c,
that is called the Järsberg-stone, close to Kristinehamn. The stone
says: EK ERILAR HARABANRA, which should mean, I the herul/earl (is
called)raven. ( Sorry about the
strange interpretations about similarities to hebrew further down,
but this was the only picture I could find on the net).

http://home9.swipnet.se/~w-93783/jarsberg/jarsberg.htm

How would a west-germanic group of people, that had been living in
the roman empire as "foederati" and mercenaries for many generations,
talk and express themselves. Maybe they would have a strong "whining"
intonation, like in vulgar latin, or as in italian still today. This
is exactly how Svea/Mälar-valley dialects still sound today. One of
the oldest recorded voices(only beatened by Gladstone and Disraeli)is
of a man that was born 1810 in Biskopskulla S Uppland, NW of
Stockholm.

http://www.alb.se/ALB/ROST/biskopsrulle.htm

Another interesting link:

http://catshaman.tripod.com/22erils1/01Romans2.htm