[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Feb 8 08:16:27 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> Hello Tore, Troels et al.,
>
> You have been debating the Heruls. I was just struck by an impuls
that
> maybe could shed some light on the question.
>
> Recently  Jørgen Ilkjær reported from Illeup aadal. A whole army
> equipment with Roman swords and Norwegian combs was found and the
time
> is about 200 AD. Until this time we do not know anything about Danes
> either. The Heruls were forced away from their homes and are
supposed to
> have returned to Scandinavia later, according to Procopius. There is
> folk in northern Jutland in Hardsyssel named Harudes.

Hello Ingemar,

can you please quote the source for this. Is there an ancient author
saying that the Harudi conquered parts of Norway or is that based on
name-similarities or archaelogical evidence? As far as I know the
earliest mentioning of Harudes is by Ptolemy who mentioned a number of
small tribes (or clans) between the Kimbern and the Saxons, including
the Sigulonen, Sabalingen, Cobanten, Chalen, Fundusen and **Haruden**,
which were 'sub-tribes of the Saxon tribal union. I think the last
that we hear of the Harudes is in context with the Thuringians who
expanded north across the Harz to the Oker and Ohre rivers and
absorbed remainders of Cherusci and Harudi living in modern North
Central Germany. Harudi are also said to have been among the Saxons
who joined the Langobards in Italy. (But the answer is better placed
at the Germannic-List.)

cheers

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details