[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Feb 8 08:56:45 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> Hello Ingemar and Troels,
> Ingemar, forget your idea, it won't work. Troels is quite right with
his
> objections. For the Heruls I should like to draw your attention to
>
>  Alvar Ellegard, Who were the Heruli? In: Scandia 53 (1987) pp.5-
> 34,
>
> who did quite a good analysis of the sources for them from the third
> to the sixth century, though his conclusion that they developed in
> Bavaria is a bit too sharply drawn. As far as I can see we have to
> distinguish between
>
> 1) the rather shadowy Black Sea/Maeotis Eluri or Heruli of the third
> and fourth century,
>
> 2) the Heruli mentioned in the West of the Empire at the end of the

> third century, in the Notitia dignitatum and possibly still in the
sixth
> century in the variae of Cassiodorus and
>
> 3) the Central European Heruli after the end of Attila´s reign and
> their aftermath treated by Procopius.
>
> The second and third group may be connected (there are some
> archeological signs of connections to the Black Sea region in the
> Central European material), but it is also possible that only the
> names are the same taken from the function as a warrior band
> without ethnic connections.
>
> For the first group I would like to point out an article by
>
> Maciej Salamon, The Chronology of Gothic incursions into Asia
> Minor in the IIIrd century. In: Eos 59 (1971) pp.109-139
>
> and a volume on the Black Sea coast:
>
> Die Schwarzmeerküste in der Spätantike und im frühen Mittelalter.
> Schriften der Balkan-Kommission der Österreichischen Akademie
> der Wissenschaften. Antiquarische Abteilung Nr.18 (Wien 1992,
> with two articles on the incursions by me and Eckhart Olshausen).
>
> Kind regards
>             Andreas
> Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
> Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
> Universität Wien
> Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
> A-1010 Wien
> Österreich
> Tel.0043/1/42-77/272-16

Hello Andreas,

that is very interesting information. Alas some systematics in the
otherwise very blurred and speculative history of the Heruls. However,
 can you venture a guess as to the nature (tribe or warband?),
'origin' (Danube area, Jutland or else?) and fate of the Heruls from
your knowledge of the sources?

best regards
Dirk

>.