[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Feb 8 23:53:23 UTC 2001

Hi Håkon

--- In gothic-l at y..., hakan36 at s... wrote:

> The reconstruction of Eketorp is said to be of the 500c, but I
suspect
> that it was rebuilt into a roman-style fortress in the beginning of
> the 600c. To avoid a herulic debate, which is not welcomed by the
est-
> ablished researchers, I think that it was comfortable to date it to
> the 500c.

I hope they had other reasons.

Maybe the finds in Soesdala represent a new kind of warriorbands
threatening the balance and the peace in Southern Sweden in the 5th
century. Charlotte Fabech has suggested Heruls. They may be bands of
Heruls or Goths roaming after the army of Attila was disbanded.

Reports from those bands may have given the Heruls the idea to go to
Thule around 512.

This might also explain some of the early ErilaR inscriptions - if
they were not caused by Western Heruls operating in Scandinavia.

Troels

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details