[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Fri Feb 9 03:23:10 UTC 2001

Hi Troels!

Here is a even better link, but if Eketorp was rebuilt in the 500c,
then I suggest that Eketorps roman-style period, was inspired by warr-
iorbands returning from the roman empire. This fortress looks similar
to the reconstruction in Saalburg, germany, at an old limes wall.

http://www.oland.fhsk.se/oka/forhistoria/jarnalder5.htm

> Maybe the finds in Soesdala represent a new kind of warriorbands
> threatening the balance and the peace in Southern Sweden in the 5th
> century. Charlotte Fabech has suggested Heruls. They may be bands of

Right east(5km)of Sösdala, you can find the village of Rickarum. It
means "the warriors place"(*Rinkarum). As far as I remember it´s of
west-germanic origin. Outside Kristianstad is Rinkaby situated and
the next related name is south of Kalmar, Rinkestaholm. And then
there is a big jump, almost 500 km up to the next Rink-village. In
the Mälarvalley you find several like Rinkesta, Rickeby and Rinkeby
etc. Denmark has one namely Rynkeby. I think that these names
represent a large garrison of warriors and maybe also a local earl or
warlord. Maybe such names spread when the idea of a king with earls
(erilaR)and professional warriors spread. Close by to Sösdala is also
the huge gravefield Vätteryd, which starts around 550 AD.

> Heruls or Goths roaming after the army of Attila was disbanded.
>
> Reports from those bands may have given the Heruls the idea to go
> Thule around 512.
>
> This might also explain some of the early ErilaR inscriptions - if
> they were not caused by Western Heruls operating in Scandinavia.

Some early inscriptions from the 300-400 c in Norway, maybe can be ex-
plained with some heruls going north after being evicted from the
danish islands. But the most probably went south. There is also a
find from Roasjö, Västergötland, with with similar objects and
context as in Sösdala.

Håkan Liljeberg

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details