[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and/or Cothic/Cotthi?

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Fri Feb 9 08:42:31 UTC 2001

Dear Dirk,

as far as I know, the letter C was used in Latin also for the sound
[g]. In fact, the letter G is derived from C, and initially C was used
 both for [k] and [g]. But also later, after the "invention" of G, the
letter C was still used also for [g], as in the name CAIUS, pronounced
[gaius], or CNAEUS. So it is possible that also on coins the C was
used sometimes for G.
Regarding the COTTI, they were a Thracian tribe of the Lower Danube,
if I'm not wrong (I have to look in some book), so no connection with
the Goths, I think.

Francisc

GUTANI WIHAILAG

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups