[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and/or Cothic/Cotthi?

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Feb 9 09:58:18 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., czobor at c... wrote:
> Dear Dirk,
>
> as far as I know, the letter C was used in Latin also for the sound
> [g]. In fact, the letter G is derived from C, and initially C was
used
>  both for [k] and [g]. But also later, after the "invention" of G,
the
> letter C was still used also for [g], as in the name CAIUS,
pronounced
> [gaius], or CNAEUS. So it is possible that also on coins the C was
> used sometimes for G.
> Regarding the COTTI, they were a Thracian tribe of the Lower Danube,
> if I'm not wrong (I have to look in some book), so no connection
with
> the Goths, I think.
>
> Francisc
>
> GUTANI WIHAILAG

Hello Francisc,

many thanks for this information. Yes, that explains the coin
inscriptions and I had another look yesterday evening using a strong
magnifyer, which confirmed that the die-sinker has used the letter C
as in VI*C*TORIA also in place of G as in GOTTHI, (thus writing
COTTHI). Do you think the Roman spelling with two Ts is of
significance? Would that not make the -o- very short unlike in the
modern German pronounciation of the name Goths, i.e. Go:ten?

cheers

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details