[gothic-l] Herules

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Thu Feb 8 16:21:31 UTC 2001

Hello Andreas, Troels and Dirk

I will gladly read the recommended literature. Concerning Ellegård
however I know his theories quite well. I was editor for a journal
publishing an article by him and I don agree with him at all. Nor did
herwig Wolfram who also took part of the symposium where Ellegård held
his lecture.

I have not studied the  Harudes primarily but so did Otto Höfler in
Germanische Sakralkönigtum 1 1952, and also Otto von Friesen has treated
them. According to Höfler they also settled Hordaland and it  got it's
name from them. My humble thought was that the former inhabitants in
Hordaland were driven away which should suite the claim the Heruls were
driven away from their homes by the Danes, who are not mentioned by name
before that. It is accordingly still a mystery who the Danes were and
their place of origin on the Scandinavian peninsula as Jordanes states.
As I said before I do not intend to stretch the issue but will in peace
digest the recommended literature. I have met and associated with
Macijec Salamon before and also exchanged letters. He gave me invaluable
help two years ago and I know he is quite skilled in these matters.

Kind regards
Ingemar

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details