[gothic-l] Rink and Rynk

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Sat Feb 10 16:13:57 UTC 2001

Håkan Liljeberg wrote:
Right east(5km)of Sösdala, you can find the village of Rickarum.
> It> means "the warriors place"(*Rinkarum). As far as I remember it´s
> of> west-germanic origin. Outside Kristianstad is Rinkaby situated and
> the next related name is south of Kalmar, Rinkestaholm. And then
> there is a big jump, almost 500 km up to the next Rink-village. In
> the Mälarvalley you find several like Rinkesta, Rickeby and
> Rinkeby> etc. Denmark has one namely Rynkeby. I think that these names
> represent a large garrison of warriors and maybe also a local earl or
> warlord.

Hej Håkan,

I think you should forget these ideas. Rink- is the same as Ring-. Look
for example at Ringkarleby in Oestergoetland and Naerke. Try to shorten
it and you get Rinkaby. Originally it was the  Ring Mens Village, i.e.
the warriors initiated to the god and wearing an oath-ring (Kolbenring.
Rinker means shortly ringkarl which of course means a warrior - that far
I agree. I have written an article about this in Migracijske Teme, nr.
1-2, Zagreb 2000, ISSN:0352-5600  and it is also treated shortly in my
newly published book "Goterkällan-Om goterna i Norden och på
kontinenten", Historieforum Västra Götaland, Göteborg 2000, ISBN:
91-973891-2-9. I have till now found 412 places with that type of name
in Scandinavia and 265 in three groups on the continent that might be of
Nordic origin. The names you mention are included with exception of
Rinkarum, which means Ring-home and corresponds to Ringarum. It makes a
new total of 413 so far. Thanks for that. Those names must with
necessity be linked to the cult of Óðinn-gaut and interestingly enough
there is also a correlation to the spread of standing stone circles from
Norway down to the Weichsel-area and from Bornholm to the Elbe-Rhine
area. They have nothing specially with Heruls to do, nor with a
garrison.It was just the local cultic organisation of the warriors
league and the schamanistic demon hunters league, that hunted away
demons from the fields  to keep them fertile. The spiritual and secular
power those days was the same.

Kindly
Ingemar

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups