[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Sun Feb 11 04:09:38 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., hakan36 at s... wrote:

Hi Troels!

Here is a link that proves that there are similar objects in similar
contexts as in Sösdala. It seems that people who had strong
influences from nomadic people like the huns at the Black se. People
like them have already in the 500c(in this case)berried horseriding-
equipment in shallow pits. Or is it just the artefacts that are old,
and they were diggged down in the 600c?

http://home.swipnet.se/dx/vaggan/vennebo.htm

> Here is a even better link, but if Eketorp was rebuilt in the 500c,
> then I suggest that Eketorps roman-style period, was inspired by
warr-
> iorbands returning from the roman empire. This fortress looks
similar
> to the reconstruction in Saalburg, germany, at an old limes wall.
>
> http://www.oland.fhsk.se/oka/forhistoria/jarnalder5.htm
>
> > Maybe the finds in Soesdala represent a new kind of warriorbands
> > threatening the balance and the peace in Southern Sweden in the
5th
> > century. Charlotte Fabech has suggested Heruls. They may be bands
of

> Right east(5km)of Sösdala, you can find the village of Rickarum.
> It
> means "the warriors place"(*Rinkarum). As far as I remember it´s
> of
> west-germanic origin. Outside Kristianstad is Rinkaby situated and
> the next related name is south of Kalmar, Rinkestaholm. And then
> there is a big jump, almost 500 km up to the next Rink-village. In
> the Mälarvalley you find several like Rinkesta, Rickeby and
> Rinkeby
> etc. Denmark has one namely Rynkeby. I think that these names
> represent a large garrison of warriors and maybe also a local earl
or
> warlord. Maybe such names spread when the idea of a king with earls
> (erilaR)and professional warriors spread. Close by to Sösdala is
> also
> the huge gravefield Vätteryd, which starts around 550 AD.
>
> > Heruls or Goths roaming after the army of Attila was
disbanded.

> > Reports from those bands may have given the Heruls the idea to go
> > Thule around 512.
> >
> > This might also explain some of the early ErilaR inscriptions -
if
> > they were not caused by Western Heruls operating in Scandinavia.
>
> Some early inscriptions from the 300-400 c in Norway, maybe can be
ex-
> plained with some heruls going north after being evicted from the
> danish islands. But the most probably went south. There is also a
> find from Roasjö, Västergötland, with similar objects and
> context.

PS I will get back to you Ingemar as soon as possible DS
Håkan Liljeberg

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details