[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Sun Feb 11 12:15:17 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., hakan36 at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., hakan36 at s... wrote:
>

> Hi Troels!
>
> Here is a link that proves that there are similar objects in
similar
> contexts as in Sösdala. It seems that people who had strong
> influences from nomadic people like the huns at the Black se.
People
> like them have already in the 500c(in this case)berried horseriding-
> equipment in shallow pits. Or is it just the artefacts that are
old,
> and they were diggged down in the 600c?

Hi Håkan!

I regard Sösdala and Fulltofta - and maybe Vännebo - as a
separate
group of finds caused by a group of horsemen with earlier contact to
the Huns in Central Europe. I do not think there is any connection to
the offerings of weapons in Jutland and Oeland also mentioned in the
link. My source was Charlotte Fabech (in your link) who supposed they
were Heruls, but as far as I can see they could also belong to
another people following the Huns. If the dating in the 5th century
is correct they can not be the Heruls of Procopius, but as I wrote
they could be an earlier roaming group.

Of course it would be easier if they should be dated as 6th century,
but as you can see Charlotte Fabech did not have the motive you
suggested in your first letter.

I have of course noticed your discussion with Ingemar and I agree in
most of his theories about rings, but whoever of you are right the
name had something with warriors to do. If the neighbour is a "Ring"-
village this could be a later stage. I believe there is also a
connection with the ring button swords common in Scandinavia from the
6th to the 8th century - very few examples of ring buttons of massive
gold are from the 5th century.

Troels

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details