[gothic-l] Visigothic ethnic policy

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba algaba at GMX.NET
Thu Feb 15 20:48:21 UTC 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 dirk at smra.co.uk wrote:
> I noticed that most people on the list seemed to be more interested
> in the early and earliest history of the Goths. However, I am trying
> to gain some understanding of Visigothic attitudes to other ethnic
> groups in the 7th century. Thus, as we know under King Sisebut (610-32
> or so) the Visigoths aquired sad notorieity for becoming one of the
> first European states to procecute the Jews on a large scale. I
> suspect that the reason for this policy was a combination of religious
>  fervour and economic interest. Is there any suggestion for the
> latter? Sisebut is interestingly the first Visigothic king to issue
> gold coins on exceptionally large scale. In fact, Tremisses of Sisebut
> and his successor Suinthila make up some 90% of all 7th century
> Visigothic coins. If anybody has some insights I would be interested
> to discuss these issues.

Well, I can't give precise data about it. Toletum, the capital
of Visigothic Spain is known for being a city which hold a large
population of jews, there're still Sinagoges. Spain is known to have
had a large population of jews in the very early middle age. The reasons:
- good economy ( much better than Britania or Galia, not to mention
Germania)
- similar climate and landscape
- much more stability ( less raids )
- not too much population ( like Italia)

I guess Egypt, very tolerant country in those times, should have been
a very nice refuge.

Till 1492, Spain was supplying with Jews Central Europe.
The Jews became very soon bankers and because of that, they
have a strong presence in Toletum.

Although, Visigothic armies, IMO, didn't rely on money, but on
quarrelling families, undoubtfully, money would help to make friends
for either side. Undoubfully, because of this, there could have been
revenges, and a feeling that jews control things. Nobles never liked
jews in Spain, only kings protected them, because of the supply of money
and because ethical reasons. Jews were, let's say, a power that added
stability to the system.

When Catholic Kings , specially Isabel, decided that she WAS THE
SYSTEM and that she would decide on the stability of it, apart from
the advices of counselors, then expulsion was decided.

There were a large population of jews in large cities, and we know
large cities and nobles have been never good friends. Large cities
seem good strongholds for kings.

I guess, it should have been not only by religious or racial reasons,
the economy is the root of politics. Specially when politics are very
weak.

But, that's only my point of view.

--
Regards/Saludos