[gothic-l] Heruls

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Fri Feb 16 13:22:26 UTC 2001

Håkan wrote:

> Hej Ingemar,
>
> I have seen similar thoughts somewhere about Rink, Rick-names
> connected with warriors of a higher class. Your ideas seems very
> realistic, and interesting. We can probably both agree that these
> names might reflect an idea that could be connected with a feudal
> system with a earls/warlords and warriors. The sixth headline "About
> golden rings and necklaces", seems very interesting in this respect.
> In almost all these areas have been found "erilaR"-inscriptions, and
> the latest I´ve heard was that also one had been found at Bornholm,
> but I don´t remember the source. Far down in that page, you will also
> find a great picture of the Järsberg-stone, in Värmland, right at the
> old border between "swiones" and "geats", with the "erilaR"-
> inscription. Somewhere on that site you will also find a map of the
> necklaces and "erilaR"-inscriptions made in northern Europe.
>
> Furthermore there might be a connection with large grave-fields also
> in stone-ring formations. One such formation, you can find 1 km north
> of the city-center in Höör, just right of the main road. The SW point
> of a square with Vätteryd-Sösdala in NW, Rickarum in the NE and
> Fulltofta in the SE. There is a possibility that they are all
> connected. What is more likely than that the heruls brought a feudal-
> warrior system to all these places.

Hej Håkan!

We are agreed except about the Herules. The problem is the rings of
standing stones are dated between early pre-Roman IA and Roman IA and
Migration period and the Heruls are said to have arrived in the 6th c.
Besides, many of these places on Ring- have an earlier name Sol- wich
still remains specially in Svealand and on Öland. They must accordingly
once have been connected to the old solar cult and later the early cult
of Gaut and  Óðinn-gaut. There  are however no objections if  you mean
the Herules also could have used these places as indeed being odinistic,
but they did not start them up. Your further information was very
interesting. I think we should have a deeper chat off line.

Varma hälsningar
Ingemar

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details