[gothic-l] Geats/Gauts/Goths

Philip Rusche ruschep at NEVADA.EDU
Mon Jan 15 23:17:45 UTC 2001

I have just been reading Marijane Osborn and Gillian Overing's _Landscape of
Desire_.  They put forward the theory that the land of the Weders in the
area called Bohuslän near Väderöfjord, around the cities Fjällbacka and Hög
Edsten, rather than the usually accepted area of Västergötland further
south.  The sea battle they would place on Lake Vänern.

It's an odd but interesting book, probably much more so to a North American
like me who is so far away from Scandinavia (and has never been) than it
would be to a Scandinavian.

As to the problem of Beo- meaning "bee", though I'm not committed to it, I
don't really see the objections to this, though I don't have any references
off hand to back me up, and this is far away from the subjct of Gothic
anyway.

Philip Rusche

to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.