[gothic-l] Lukman

Frank Kermes gevurah at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 16 03:39:49 UTC 2001

>Many have doubts concerning Lukman.

So do I.  Though _Skjoldunge und Skilfinge: Hunnen- un Herulerkonige_ was
the first work _I_ read that did not take the identification of Hrothgar's
Danes with Leijre at face value.

>Is there an English edition? Have only seen
>an edition in German language.

No English version, but some of us Arabs _do_ know German :)

Lukman
>developed the theory that the Skjoldungar-
>Skilfingar cycle, known from Beowulf, Saxo
>and some later Icelandic sagas, was originally
>brought to Gautland/Goetaland by the Erules.

Though I agree that the identification of Hrolf Kraki/Hrothulf with the
Herulan chief Roduulf (who was adopted as "son-in-arms" by Theoderic in
Ravenna) is fairly compelling, I don't see the whole of both cycles being
that easily traced to the Heruli.  Oral tradition is a little too malleable,
I think, for it to be so easily incorporated--and what about native
traditions?

But to move to something more Gothic--The Goths and the Geatas were probably
the same people at some (early) point, but by the time we hear of either
one, in Scandanavia or in the Vistula basin, they're arleady separated
geographically, and possibly culturally (the names aren't quite the same).
When we hear of Hygelac's raid on the Hetwares in the 5th century, however,
I think (if he is in fact a Geat) it would be rather strange to consider the
Geats "Goths" in the same way as Theoderic's Ostrogoths in the same period
were "Goths."

Cheers,
Frank