[gothic-l] Re: Geats/Gauts/Goths

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Tue Jan 16 01:31:00 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Anthony,
>
> There can hardly be any doubt (see my posting
> to Philip on the list). Who else would they be.
> The closeness to Vaestergoetland geographically
> to Jutland is certainly one of the indications.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil
>
> > We also seem to be back at that old query: were the Geats / Gautar
the same
> > people as the Goths?

Hello dear Bertil et consortes,

This question is not so very easy answered. It consists of  two
elements. The problem is that both Gautar and Jutes (Ýtas)definitely
may be considered Goths/Gothic peoples. Hence the Geatas may  be the
Gautar but it could also be the Jutes, who provingly settled Britain,
which is the land where the Beowulf-epos is written. A Swedish
location if that is true seems to me most likely in Bohuslän and along
the Gauta elfr which is partly also in Vaestergoetland -   more
broadly expressed alongt lower part of the river and North of the
mouth of the river. Gothenburg lies just in the river mouth.Also
Norwegian folks may be reckoned Gothic and that covers just Bohuslaen
that was former Norse. I treat the Gothic issue in my book but I have
not seen reason to involve the late Beowulfian time and so  I am no
expert in this special question. Still I agree with the connection of
Weder with the Vaeder-island concept. There are such islands both in
Bohuslaen and outside Halland/Scania and they seem to be kind of
border-markings being the utmost islands.Maybe the Weder lived in more
remote areas-distant (relatively) islands. Just a   whim! Of course
Tore could claim - meaning  it is the same as ram - it was because of
they had sheep grazing there in summer which is not quite impossible,
but for such things there was much closer and better situated islands
and I reckon  they had a lot of sheep quite outnumbering the capacity
of these few islands.

Kind greetings
Ingemar