[gothic-l] Germanic and Lappish

MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Tue Jan 16 10:52:10 UTC 2001

Someone a while ago (sorry, I can't find the reference) listed various
words that are in Germanic and also in Lappish. One that I seem to
remember is Germanic {hauh-} = Lappish {kauko} = "high". Which way
were these words borrowed? If Germanic developed in Scandinavia,
Germanic could have taken these words from Lappish. How far south in
Norway and Sweden have archaeologists found evidence of Lappish type
culture being present up to several centuries BC? If most of Norway
and Sweden were once Lappish territory, it could be that, for once, we
see in Lappish a surviving descendant of one of the many aboriginal
substratum languages that incoming Indo-European overrode and replaced
long ago in its well-known big spread.