[gothic-l] Battle of the Goths and the Huns

Frank Kermes gevurah at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 19 02:45:13 UTC 2001

Hey all,

Part 5 of Hervararsaga is interesting also because of its unit-by-unit
breakdown of Hlodhr's forces--interesting, but not really enlightening,
because the numbers given do not really add up.  (Though I imagine that if
Bertil was starting with a certain strophe, he might be moving up to this
eventually.  Just thought I'd jump the gun--or, speaking of Huns, the bow).

Heidhrek, by the way, might also be formed from "heidhr," honor, so
"honor-rich."  Because of some work I was doing on this saga last semester,
I bothered the list with questions a few months ago about the relationship
between the names "Heidhrek" and "Athanareiks."

The glosses of the name "Angantyr" always seemed rather strange to me.  The
Swedish rendering of Old English "Ongentheow," for example, is often
"Angantyr," so I always wonder if the "Tyr" element was actually derived
from the god-name.  I think the Gothic equivalent of "theow" is "thius," so
a Gothic form (if this is truly an oral tradition from a Gothic period)
might be something like "Ainganthius," right?

Cheers,
Frank