[gothic-l] Battle of the Goths and the Huns--"gravöl"?, "theow"?

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Fri Jan 19 05:43:00 UTC 2001

Hello Bertil, hello Frank,

(Time is 4 past 5 AM!--woke up early, couldn't sleep..) I
intuitively reacted on a brain stem level to the word 'arval' due
to the obvious scene of mourning after Heidrekr's burial:

Bertil Häggman wrote:
> ..
> I would like to take a look at the Battle of the
> Goths and the Huns in the Saga of King Heidrek
..
> "Hlodhr rode from the east,
> heir of Heidhrekr;
> he came to the court,
> the homes of the Goths,
> to Arheimar,
> claiming his birthright;
> there drank Angantyr
> arval for Heidhrekr."
>
> Hlodhr = a destroyer, vanquisher
> Heidrekr=the king of the heath (ON)
> Arheimar=water terrain, could be anywhere
> Angantyr=Joy/Happiness Tyr (ON Angan Tyr),
> in the poem in his role as Gothic hero
> arval=?

 Angantyr is almost certainly (really sticking out my neck here!)
drinking "gravöl"?!-- mead drunk to the memory of the dead!
 Has anyone a knowledge of this word outside the Swedish language?
It is still very much in use even if most "gravöl" parties
directly after the burial ceremony regularly is replaced by coffee
now. Does anyone have the etymology?
Could it even *originally* have been "arvöl"?? (arv = inheritance,
öl = beer).

Frank has since commented:

> The glosses of the name "Angantyr" always seemed rather strange to me.
..
> .. I think the Gothic equivalent of "theow" is "thius,"

Thanks Frank, I've always wanted to know what's behind this
"theow"? Good you brought it up. :D)

> Heidrekr=the king of the heath (ON)

Oh no, not again.. Honorable, full of honor, as we agreed, didn't
we??

Good morning,

Seigmundr