[gothic-l] pRe: Runic Influences

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Fri Jan 19 17:09:46 UTC 2001

Hello,

 I've translated the excerpt from Fritz Askeberg below. I tried
AltaVista's Babel Fish translation engine
http://world.altavista.com/ but it was more of a hindrance than a
help. It ended with one really amusing thing: "Tore Gannholm"
becomes 'Gates Gannholm' -- Woah ha ha! :-D)
Here is old Fritz in translation =>

Fritz Askeberg. Norden och kontinenten i gammal tid. Stockholm
1944.

 After Fritz Askeberg, Norden och kontinenten i gammal tid, page
42: A new
means for expression was created by the runes, which replaced the
old symbol
characters, but it did not occur that the well-known ideograms of
the flat rock
pictures (sun wheel, footprint, hand, cross and other ones)
affected the outcome
of the Futhark, which reveals an origin from a south European
alphabet in its
entire structure. The proofs for it are not alphabetohistorical
only, but come
out directly from the internal structure of the alphabet, which
clearly shows
that one attempted to shoexpress, as accurately as possible, the
sound system of a old-Germanic dialect. The letter magic, the rune
names
and the sequence string are secondary appearances. "

Page 69: These spreading conditions are meanwhile very obvious and
explain themselves in the clear difference showing up between the
north, east and west Germanic culture areas, from which two first
ones were located together in close contact . The westGermanic
area
show no trace of Runes up till the beginning of the 6th Century.
In the eastGermanic area there are very few inscriptions, that is
correct, but on one hand  the circumstances outside of the area of
the German Reich were very unfavorable, on the other hand had the
rune tradition there had only a short duration. The occurrence is
however with certainty verified, and Ulfila knew  runes as can be
proved."

Page 77: During the first rune period, until around the year 500,
the runes became only insignificantly changed. Also this does not
lend support to the opinion that the oldest rune finds are the
result of a long development in a findless time. The difference,
which the runes
demonstrate in relation to their classical model, was already
there with the greatest probability in the works of the first rune
masters. The Futhark is not a slavish copy, but presents itself
with a unique form and grouping of the individual characters as a
rather free re-design of the model.
All  attempts, which one made in order to solve the mystery of the
origin
of the runes, failed, because one tried to find their exact
counterparts in the Greek,
Latin respectively North Italian alphabets. They also had to fail
by not recognizing
the rune alphabet as a non-standard creation. "

Page 79: The spread of the oldest rune finds in the Weichsel area
and its extensions in the North corresponds exactly to the
geographical and cultural conditions, which we can presuppose as
most ideal for alphabetohistorical reasons . Among these oldest
finds, the five spearheads of Stabu, Moss, Dahmsdorf, Kowel and
Rozwadow form a typologic uniform
group, which, with exception of the strongly by fire damaged one
of Stabu, by their
silver tauschierung (=?) and ornament indicating a substantial
Russian proportion. Also
the spearhead from Stabu seems to have had traces of similar
ornaments according to the first description of Rygh, before the
shining patina was removed due to the preservation. "

Page 82: From these circumstances we must draw the conclusion that
the runes in the Weichsel area already developed before the
emigration. This conclusion is supported by the distribution of
the oldest finds. Two of the rune spearheads, Rozwadow in Wolynien
and Kowel in East Galizia, were found in the route of the
migration. Ornamented spear heads of same type do not on the other
hand occur in south Russia, from which one can deduce that the
decoration of weapons with south Russian ornamentations was an
impulse, which went forth only from the Gothic weapon smiths in
the Weichsel area.

 While on the other hand the culture stream, which went forth from
the Gothic Black Sea area, characterized by a highly developed
goldsmith art, does not show any runes, can therefore the runes
not have  resulted from immediate contact with the classical
culture, which this culture current presupposes, a conclusion to
which we already arrived for  other reasons. One must then see the
ring of Pietrassari, which is the only South Gothic find, as a
conservative remnant in a heathen religious connection. The only
alphabet, which had a more intimate contact with the classical
culture as a prerequisite, was meanwhile the alphabet of Ulfias
and, in addition, this was only of a short duration, because the
Germanisation happened very fast. "

Page 85: With support of culture-historical, philological,
alphabetohistorical and typologic facts I thus want to state that
the runes with latin alphabet as a model developed during the  2nd
Century after Chr. with the Goths in the Weichsel area . "
-----

 Do I sense a hint of licking here for the Third Reich Urgermanen?
What do you say, 'Gates' Gannholm?

:^)

Seigmundr