[gothic-l] Runic Influences

Steve Pollington stevep at SAXNOT.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Jan 19 19:27:51 UTC 2001

Another lurker unmasks ...

 >I've translated the excerpt from Fritz Askeberg below. I tried
>AltaVista's Babel Fish translation engine
>http://world.altavista.com/ but it was more of a hindrance than a
>help.
Thanks for that - you have saved me an hour or two with a dictionary.

> The westGermanicarea
>show no trace of Runes up till the beginning of the 6th Century.
I swrite under correction, but surely this is not true, and must have been
known not to be true even in 1944. The earliest English inscriptions are
found in mainly gravegoods of the 5th century (?perhaps even earlier). They
are confined to the Anglian areas of the country almost without exception.
Only in the 8th century do to southerly/westerly Saxon areas begin to use
the script.

Regards
Steve Pollington