[gothic-l] Runic Influences

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sat Jan 20 08:19:55 UTC 2001

>Another lurker unmasks ...
>

> >I've translated the excerpt from Fritz Askeberg below. I tried
>>AltaVista's Babel Fish translation engine
>>http://world.altavista.com/ but it was more of a hindrance than a
>>help.
>Thanks for that - you have saved me an hour or two with a dictionary.
>
>> The westGermanicarea
>>show no trace of Runes up till the beginning of the 6th Century.
>I swrite under correction, but surely this is not true, and must have been
>known not to be true even in 1944. The earliest English inscriptions are
>found in mainly gravegoods of the 5th century (?perhaps even earlier). They
>are confined to the Anglian areas of the country almost without exception.
>Only in the 8th century do to southerly/westerly Saxon areas begin to use
>the script.
>
>Regards
>Steve Pollington

Steve,

England was not a unitary area at that time.

There are proven close contacts between your mentioned area and Gotland at
that time. i.e. Sutton-Hoo.
Gotland has among the oldest inscriptions. The Moos inscription from the
3rd century and the full alfabeth the FUTARK found at Kylver and dated to
the end of the 4th century.
There are accordingly clear influence of Eastgermanic language in the area
mentioned by you.

Regards Tore Gannholm