[gothic-l] Digest Number 193

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Sat Jan 20 11:06:30 UTC 2001

Bertil wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> There can always be different interpretations of
> runic inscriptions. In1939 there were around
> 150 scientific works and journal articles on the ring.
> Guess hundreds have been added since that.
> Krause's _Die Runeninschriften im aelteren Futhark_ (1966)
> might be of interest. Elisabeth Svaerdstroem believes
> not much is to be added to Krause.
>
> The interpretation I presented was made during a close
> inspection made in Stockholm in 1970. So who is right?

Hello my dear friend Bertil,

In this case I have to join side with Andreas. I give exactly the same
interpretation as Reichert in my book and that is not only because of
the technical examination of rune 7, but also because of a number of
other circumstances. I also treat it, as you know, in my article in
Migracijske Teme. All circumstances point in the same direction that
Reicherts interpretation gives sense, showing in the direction of a
Scandinavian origin or tradition.

Kindly
Ingemar