[gothic-l] Digest Number 193

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Jan 23 10:52:43 UTC 2001

On 20 Jan 2001, at 12:06, Ingemar Nordgren wrote:

> Bertil wrote:
> >
> > Andreas,
> >
> > There can always be different interpretations of
> > runic inscriptions. In1939 there were around
> > 150 scientific works and journal articles on the ring.
> > Guess hundreds have been added since that.
> > Krause's _Die Runeninschriften im aelteren Futhark_ (1966)
> > might be of interest. Elisabeth Svaerdstroem believes
> > not much is to be added to Krause.
> >
> > The interpretation I presented was made during a close
> > inspection made in Stockholm in 1970. So who is right?
>

> Hello my dear friend Bertil,
>
> In this case I have to join side with Andreas. I give exactly the
> same interpretation as Reichert in my book and that is not only
> because of the technical examination of rune 7, but also because of
> a number of other circumstances. I also treat it, as you know, in my
> article in Migracijske Teme. All circumstances point in the same
> direction that Reicherts interpretation gives sense, showing in the
> direction of a Scandinavian origin or tradition.
>
> Kindly
> Ingemar

Hi Bertil and Ingemar,
the difference between Reichert´s scrutiny in 1992 and Elisabeth
Svärdström´s in 1970 is that Svärdström had only some
photographs to
work on, whereas Reichert was allowed to take a silicon imprint of
the
ring done professionally by two archeologists accompanying him,
Falko
Daim and Gabriele Gattringer, who also took a series of
photographs
allowing to form stereometric pictures of the inscription . The
archeologists also made a replica of the ring from the silicon imprint
and so they could work on this material not just during the visit to
the museum at Bucarest, but with all the technical equipment they
have at their
institute at Vienna University. So apart from Ingemar´s arguments,
there are also a lot of technical reasons extensively given in
Reichert´s essay, why there cannot have been an "o" in the
inscription.

Regards
            Andreas

Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich