[gothic-l] Re: Beowulf and the Geats

anthony.appleyard@umist.ac.uk Anthony.Appleyard at UMIST.AC.UK
Sun Jan 21 18:55:56 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, keth at o... wrote:
> Bertil Häggman wrote:
> This text suggest the following sound change:
>  OE Giuli --> (modern English?) Yule

That depends on whether the G in Giuli was pronounced, or whether it
was a graphy for initial [y] as in "yacht".

> Following a similar pattern, one would then get:
>   OE  Geats --> (medieval English?) Yats
 If the Geats are the Gautar, the [ea] would be long, and the
standard modern English outcome would have been *"Yeats".

> ?? With some goodwill, we should then have our "Jutes" ¿¿

What parts of Scandinavia preserved Common Germanic initial [j]? If
[ju:taz] was Common Germanic for "a Jute", that [j] survives in
modern Danish "Jylland", but I thought that Common Germanic initial
[j] disappeared in Old Norse.