[gothic-l] Re: Beowulf and the Geats

Le Bateman LeBateman at NETZERO.NET
Mon Jan 22 03:21:09 UTC 2001

I just recalled something Gota is the Old English word for Goth, Geat is
Gate in OE Eotes is Jutes in OE, so I am not sure about the Geats referred
to in Beowulf. Now The Geals had a war with the Vikings whom they called
Geats. I am sorry for bring all of this up it does not apply. So The Geats
since the poem Beowulf describes them as wearing gleaing helmets with a
golden boar crest, they could not be Goths, they had to be from Sweden
perhaps.
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar.nordgren at ebox.tninet.se>
To: <gothic-l at egroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 7:34 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Beowulf and the Geats

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Philip Rusche" <ruschep at n...> wrote:
 And regardless of speculation on the names Geat/Gaut and
Goths,> I am not convinced, nor are many other people, that they refer
to the same> people.

> Philip Rusche

Philip,

To say Goths, Geats, Gutar and Ýtas (Jutes) all mean Goths does not
imply that they belong to the same people. Try to understand there
probably were several peoples regarding themselves as Goths - several
Gothic peoples. This is the new interpretation I have come up to in my
book showing that the unifying factor was the common ancestry from
Gaut - a religious unity and not a political. The Vistula Goths merely
was one of the Gothic peoples with close connections to the others and
having originated from all of them.

Kindly
Ingemar

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary