[gothic-l] Re: gothic traces in the east?

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Jan 29 07:54:35 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:

> But the word is absent from Gothic, or what do you say?
>
> Best regards,
> Keth

I think that it is rather unattested in Gothic.
Wulfila calls the Romans "Rumons", but I think that it's possible that
it existed in Gothic also the word *wal(a)ha- or something like this.
The common Slavic word could been borrowed most probably from Gothic,
having in view that the oldest Germanic words in Common Slavic were
from Gothic, later also OHG and Old Norse.

Francisc

GUTANI WIHAILG

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details