[gothic-l] Runic Influences

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Jan 31 06:54:55 UTC 2001

>Hi Tore,
>if you read my last letter, you will find that the Goths went nowhere
>and especially not to Britain. Most of them stayed in Italy and there
>is ample evidence of them and their descendants there. See the
>literature I quoted. No need to construct fancyful travelling routes to
>seek chimaerical Goths in England.
>Regards
>         Andreas Schwarcz

Hi Andreas,
Thanks for your information.
I tried to put pieces together of ideas that an earlier generation of
Swedish archaeological professors had suggested. I think of Sune Lindqvist
who saw many similarities in artefacts from his excavations of Gothic
gravefields in Italy and his analyses of Sutton Hoo. I have been very
fascinated by his findings.

It is good that we have discussed this so deep.
It is no doubt that Gotland has a central position tying this different
sides together.
What also puzzles me is that there is a new Royal familily coming from
outside and rules the area where Sutton Hoo is located.
It is very difficult to know moved where without written sources.
Archaeological findings can be misleading.
Regards Tore Gannholm

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details