[gothic-l] vowel table; Re: Reidgotaland

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Jul 2 16:27:51 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

Remarkable your comparative tables!
I have only some additions:

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> grjot   gryt      greut?

I think that the Gothic form, in it's Wulfilan variant, would be
rather *griut- (and *Griutuggs for Greutung), since for the common
Germanic diphtong *eu in Gothic appears iu.

> ... Perhaps other list
> members know what Gothic for "goat" is, or maybe "light"?

in Gothic, "goat" = gaits, and "light" = liuhaÞ

> Another tangential remark: We discussed the role of the
> 'Ablautreihe' of a verb in the formation of nouns.
> Perhaps this was discussed before, but in that case I
> must have missed it. Here I thought of an examle from
> Dutch:
>           "gieten  -  goot  -  gegoten",
>
> are the main forms of the Dutch verb meaning "to pour".
> Thus they say "ik giet, jij giet, hij giet, wij gieten, etc..",
> "ik heb gegoten, jij hebt gegoten, etc.." (that is the
> way the main forms are used).
>
> But they also have a noun related to this verb, which is
> "goot", and it means a gulley for conducting water,
> e.g. a gutter or a channel to drain roofs or streets
> and such. The point of the example is that the noun
> here is formed from the verb's past tense. Could that
> be a general rule of te thumb? (i.e. that the past
> tense of verbs often form nouns)
>
> For example in Norwegian we have the same verb with
> the following main forms:
>
>           gjota - gyt - gaut - gotet.

In Gothic: giutan - gaut - gutum - gutans "to pour"

           (inf.)   (pret. (pret.  (part.)
                     sg.)   I.pl.)

Golja Þuk,

Francisc