[gothic-l] Gapt = Capit !

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Wed Jul 4 08:38:14 UTC 2001

Hails Bertil!
you wrote:
>"Amalernas stamtavla boerjar med Gapt (eller Gaut),
>en skandinavisk krigsgud." (ur Andreas Nordins oeversaettning
>av Jordanes _Getica Om goternas ursprung och
>bedrifter_ (1997). Ur kommentatren till Kap. 79.

Actually, it isn't chapter 79, but rather chapter 14.
The number 79 rather refers to paragraph !

>The fact that Nordin agrees with Jacob Grimm, Germany's
>greatest linguist through the ages, is a fine testimony
>to the high quality of the 1997 Swedish edition with
>commentary.

Bertil, that statement doesn't make sense to me.
How can agreeeing with Jakob Grimm, who was born in 1785, be
a "fine" testimony for quality? Grimm was a genius all right,
but certainly he wasn't correct in *all his conjectures.

Besides, the question isn't primarily whether he is right or wrong,
(that being impossible to establish with 100 % certainty), but rather
how well he explains the reasoning that led to his conclusions.

The fact is, Jakob Grimm's opinions have formed something like a
standard set of opinions for nearly 200 years.

>When was the latest Norwegian edition of _Getica_?

I think there was one in 1930. But new critical editions are an
international matter anyway; and it has been that way for a
long long time. Instead I'd like to ask what is considered to
be the best critical edition.

Do you believe that Grimm had a chance to look at all the different
Mss. then? Since this word "Gapt" is not written the same way in
all the Mss., the least you'd expect is a kind of comment.

Golja þuk,
Keth