[gothic-l] Gapt = Capit !

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jul 4 16:43:19 UTC 2001

Keth,

Thank you for your view on the chapters
in _Getica_.

Noted your view that Grimm was a "genius".
Who was right or who was wrong? Can only
present the view of Nordin. At least it is
of later date than 1930. Was there a commentary
in the Norwegian edition ?

Maybe you have checked all the manuscripts?
Lets try to list some of them:

There are 12 _Getica_ manuscripts:

Codex Heidelbergensis 921, 8th century
Vaticanus Palatinus, 9th century
Valenciennensis, 9th century
Florentinus Laurentianus, 11th century
Mediolanensis Ambrosianus, 11th century
Epitome Philippsiana, 9th century
Vaticanus Ottobotianus, 10th century
Codex Breslaviensis Rehdigerenus, 11th century.
Codex Cantabrigiensis, 11th century
Codex Berolinensis, 12th century
Codex Atrebatensis, only copy

One list in the home of Mommsen in a fire.
He ordered them in three classes.

Gothically

Bertil

Actually, it isn't chapter 79, but rather chapter 14.
The number 79 rather refers to paragraph !

.Besides, the question isn't primarily whether he is right or wrong,
(that being impossible to establish with 100 % certainty), but rather
how well he explains the reasoning that led to his conclusions.

The fact is, Jakob Grimm's opinions have formed something like a
standard set of opinions for nearly 200 years.

I think there was one in 1930. But new critical editions are an
international matter anyway; and it has been that way for a
long long time. Instead I'd like to ask what is considered to
be the best critical edition.

Do you believe that Grimm had a chance to look at all the different
Mss. then? Since this word "Gapt" is not written the same way in
all the Mss., the least you'd expect is a kind of comment.