[gothic-l] Re: Not Danparstadir

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jul 4 13:39:29 UTC 2001

> > I would love to see a comprehensive treatment of indo-european
> tribal names.
> > I've always been suspicious of recurrent roots such as Wends,
> Veneti,
> > Vandals, etc.

I think that such a study would be very useful. Note that
Veneti/Venethi/Venedi are attested at the Baltic Sea and further south
in Eastern Europe, where they are thought to be some sort of early
Slaws. Also Wenden/Wends is a collective name for Slavs.

The tribes of the Venedi in North Italy and in Western France are
considered to be Celts, while Vandili, Vandali, are considered to be
Germans and their one-time neighbours the Vendelici, were Celts from
modern South Germany.

Interestingly, the Langobardic legend states that they were once
called Winili, while there was also a Celtic tribe called the Winili
in modern Belgium.

I suppose that these examples show that often a common root could lead
to the adoption of a similar or even the same name without any direct
relation between the respective tribes. (Note also Scandinavian Saami
and Baltic Sami, or Germanic Semnones and Celtic Sennoes, perhaps even
Western Heruls at the North Sea Coast in Herulingo/Harlingen and
Eastern Heruls at the Danube, etc....)

cheers,