[gothic-l] Reidgoths-Reidmare-horses?

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jul 4 09:58:49 UTC 2001

> We can't say if the Hreidgoths and the legends were originally a
part
> of real events, or they were later combined in Scandinavia. The man
> who made the Roek-stone probably knew who they were, but I am not
> sure that Snorri and the other later writers knew that.
>
> I believe they lived somewhere at the Continent. However we still
> have to find a satisfying connection to Hreidmare and Eygoths.

Hi Troels,

about Hreidgoths and Hreidmares; has a possible link to a meaning
relating to horses been explored? A Mar or Maere is a name for an old
run-down horse. Also the word Gote/Goths is believed to have a meaning
for horse. If this word is related to German Gaul (i.e. an old
run-down horse) than Hreidmare and Hreidgoths would be synonyms.

cheers,