[gothic-l] God-thiod/ Godheimar

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jul 4 16:56:31 UTC 2001

Keth,

You are welcome to sort out the manuscript
situation in detail. It would be very interesting to
have that info.

Thank you for your info on manuscripts in general.
I am sure that is very useful to the list.

I hope you don't mind my leaning on Professor
Omeljan Pritsak in this matter. Of course
I respect your views and knowledge and find
your contributions on this list very interesting.

Think Pritsak is emeritus now but he
was Mykhailo S. Hryshevskyi Professor
of Ukrainian History and Director of the
Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard
University, United States.

Personally I have been engaged in
Swedish-Ukrainian relations research
since the 1960s. These relations span about 1700
years from the migration of the Goths
to the two Swedish-Ukrainian alliance
agreements in 1708. That's why I have come
to respect Professor Pritsak's work.

Gothically

Bertil

Gothically

Bertil

You do not consider the Mss. situation. But I  did set up
a detailed list of all Mss. occurrences of the words.

In general you can expect a word to have a different meanings
in different contexts.

Add to this that the Ms. spelling is not always uniform,
but is, as a rule, variable; a question that also needs
to be considered. The editors of the Mss. who produced
the so called "normalized" editions, were usually guided
by certain, then current, opinions, in their choices of
spellings.

Surely all these place-names do not have anything to do with the Goths?

I think the best approach will be to concentrate about one word at the time;
for example "Goð-þjóð" or whatever way it is spelled in the
different places. I will begin below your Pritsak quote: