[gothic-l] Re: Godheimar

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jul 4 17:37:39 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Esteemed listmembers,
>
> The Goths never had a connection
> to German Federal territory.

That is not at all correct. For example, a recent study about the so
called 'Gothic' graves in the Lauchheim cemetary confirm that the
women burried in the graves with Gothic jewelery are most likely
Ostrogoths from Pannonia (tooth enemal anaylsis) (posted the sources
earlier on this list). This underscores that Alamannic and Ostrogothic
royal/noble families intermarried at a substantial scale in the 5th
century.

Also, Theoderic was allied with the Thuringians in order to balance
the growing power of the Franks and he received Alamannic refugees
after the battle of Zuelpich, who were put under his protection and
some of them were settled in Italy and Pannonia. The ethnogenesis of
the Bavarians has been for several reasons closely linked to the
Ostrogothic court at Ravenna.

> Besides Harvard Professor Omeljan
> Pritsak's _Origin of the Rus_ is unrelated
> to German placenames, which would
> anyway, due to territoriality, have
> nothing to do with the Goths.

I thought that my first post was clear enough. However, as I said,
none of the (many) placenames with Got- Goten- Gut- Gute etc in
Germany have anything to do with the Goths. Meaning that there must be
a Germanic placename component Got- etc. which can also account for
such  placenames in non-Gothic areas.

> A recent exhibition catalogue from
> Germany is a good illustration of this.
> Of the finds presented from Germany
> none could be attributed to the Goths
> in difference to East European exhibits.

That is very strange, if not completely wrong!!! What about the large
hoard of Ostrogothic coins from Mengen/Bavaria, or the many
Ostrogothic coins from Alamannic and Bajuvarian cemetaries, where they
were used as Charons-pennies, including the only full siliqua ever to
be found. Note, the Mengen hoard is the biggest Ostrogothic coin
treasure ever found anywhere. Also, Ostrogothic artefacts have been
found in many several places in Southern Germany.

> So I don't see the relevance of bringing up
> German placenames in the relation to
> Godheimar.

See the explanation above.

cheers,
Dirk

> > One has to be very carefull with these kind of attributions. In
> > Germany there are place names like Gotinga, Gutinge, first
attested in
> > 775AD and now called Goettingen, or Godewicum/Goduwicus now called
> > Goettwig (Austria), or Gotenheim (!), or Gottorpia now called
Gottorp,