[gothic-l] Re: Godheimar

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 5 09:09:47 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Esteemed listmembers,
>
> The Brockhaus view is one of many.

It is the latest view and the mainstream view!

> The "Gothic-German" people is not described
> in much detail. Maybe Brockhaus has abandoned
> the Gothic-Gepidic trek to the Black Sea area
> and is thinking in terms of a more westerly route?
> But as the "process is not fully researched"
> we will have to wait for more news, I guess.

The Brockhaus is not talking about the Goths in the exerpt at all. Why
don't you read first, than think and than write???!!

> Still no news of how the Goths came to settle
> on the present Federal territory of Germany?

Nobody wrote about Gothic settlement on the territory of Germany at
all. These type of provocations got you kicked off one discussion
list. Why continue this behaviour, which kills off every good
discussion??

> _Das Gold der Barbarenfuersten - Schaetze
> aud Prunkgraebern des 5. Jahrhunderts n. Chr.
> zwischen Kaukasus und Gallien_ was a major
> exhibition 11 Feb to 4 June 2001 in Mannheim.
> If there are so many Gothic finds on the present
> territory of the Federal Republic why not bring
> them together in Mannheim. But there was none.

The Mengen hoard of Ostrogothic coins is undisputed, so are the other
charons-penny finds in south Germany as well as the Lauchheim finds.
Not every exhibition is comprehensive! Lets discuss facts and refrain
from provocation which only reflect badly on yourself.

> Archaelogical traces of the Ostrogoths are few,
> anywhere. For the Visigoths: Very few finds in
> Romania and Spain. Also Auvergne, and Duraton,
> Madrona.
>
> But Goths settled in the Augsburg area? Mengen,
> Lauchheim?

Nobody spoke about settlement. Remember to read, think and than write!

This would really demand more
> facts? This is very interesting and opens
> new avenues. Goths settled in the FRG
> area? I am sure these finds are there
> by happenstance but maybe there is another
> explanation. Just asking.

Again these are mere provocations and an insult to the intelligence of
the members of this list. Do you want to continue insulting the list
members with that?