[gothic-l] Re: Godheimar

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Jul 5 12:54:31 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> from which quote it will be clear that the ON spelling in question
> is "Goðheimar" (=nom. pl.), that is "Goð" with a "stunginn d"
> as we call it. This then tells us that the name derives from
> "goð" = "god" (= same as "guð"), and not from "got". It is the
> latter form that corresponds to the modern English term "Goth"
> as in "Ostrogoths" and "Visigoths". In German, for example, they
> still say it like this: "die Goten".

The English terms "Goth", "Ostrogoth", "Visigoth" owe their "th" to
the Latin origin. According to "Webster's New World College Dictionary
on PowerCD" (Version 2.5, Copyright 1994-96 Zane Publishing, Inc.),
these English words come from Latin Gothi (< Gk. Gothoi), Ostrogothi,
Visigothi. In Gothic, the root was Gut-, with "t", as attested in the
words Gut-thiuda and Gutani.
Thus, in Germanic languages the correspondents of this word should
have a "t". The words with d, ð, or Þ are rather cognated with Gothic
guÞ "god".

Francisc

GUTANI WIHAILAG