[gothic-l] Re: Godheimar

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 5 13:00:18 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hi Dirk ,
> You wrote:
> >I thought that my first post was clear enough. However, as I said,
> >none of the (many) placenames with Got- Goten- Gut- Gute etc in
> >Germany have anything to do with the Goths. Meaning that there must
be
> >a Germanic placename component Got- etc. which can also account for
> >such  placenames in non-Gothic areas.
>
> Which I thought was a very clear and rational argument, in answer to
:

> >> Besides Harvard Professor Omeljan
> >> Pritsak's _Origin of the Rus_ is unrelated
> >> to German placenames, which would
> >> anyway, due to territoriality, have
> >> nothing to do with the Goths.
>
> I'd like to make use of the opportunity to ask if Pritsak's can
> be considered as a kind of universal lookup-book on things Gothic.
> I do not have the book, but have been hearing about it for many
years.
> If it is that good, I should like to get myself a copy.
> (though I heard Rolf Hachmann is better)
> The title indicates a more restricted topicality, than might
> be required to for detailed information about The Goths in Western
> regions.

Hi Keths,

I cannot tell whether or not Pritsak is a good reference for Gothic
history as I have not read his book. Maybe somebody else (Andreas
Schwarcs?) would be of more help.

(snipped a lot of analysis which sounds perfectly reasonable to me)

I know of course that early German placenmames like Gotinga, Gutinge,
Gotaha etc. are not derived from the Gothic tribal name and stated so
earlier. I was just wandering what this syllabyl 'Got-, Gut-' may
represent and if it is a meaning that can also account for placenames
in Germanic areas outside Germany?

cheers,