[gothic-l] Re: Godheimar again

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Jul 5 13:05:31 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil,

as I pointed out in my previous message, to a Gothic "t" should
correspond an Old Norse "t", since both languages preserved the Common
Germanic "t". The Norse words containing d, ð, or Þ are rather
cognated with Gothic guÞ "god". It seems to me that in your examples,
there is a contamination between both Germanic roots, that would
explain the God- instead of Got- in Godthjod. Maybe because the fact
that the Goths became a mythical people in the Norse sagas, they were
regarded as a sort of "Gods". Just speculations.

Francisc