[gothic-l] Re: Godheimar again

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Jul 5 17:15:22 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil,

I hope that you did not missundertand me. When I referred to a
contamination between "God" and "Got", I did not mean that this
contamination is due to you or to Prof. Pritsak. I meant that this
contamination (or popular etymology) occured in the language of the
authors/propagators of the Old Norse sagas, that (in my view)
reinterpreted Got-thjod "Gothic people" as God-thjod "people of gods"
or "God's people".

Francisc