[gothic-l] Godheimar and godos

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Jul 6 17:26:34 UTC 2001

Francisc,

One interesting connection between
"god" and the Goths is the Spanish
word for Goths.

In _Isidorus Hispalenis_ of Bishop Isidorus
of Sevilla the Gothic heritage is very
prominent and the good bishop is presenting
a glowing Spanish patriotism that influenced
medieval Spanish literature (see Gifford Davis,
"The development of the national theme in
medieval Castilian literature", Hispanic Review, 3,
1935, pp. 149-161). Spain was more or less
identical with "patria Gothorum" and "la tierra
de los godos".

Gothically

Bertil

It seems that we are talking about the same thing.
Like Prof. Pritsak, I saw too a reinterpretation through popular
etymology of Got- as God- (in Godthjod, Godheimar etc.).
But, in the case of Godheimar, I am not sure if it is not indeed the
"home  of Gods". I know to little about the subject to risk to sustain
a point of view or other.