[gothic-l] Hachmann choose over Nordgren and Wolfram?

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Sat Jul 7 13:27:01 UTC 2001

"Die Goten und Skandinavien", von Rolf Hachmann,
In die Reihe "Quellen und Forschungen zur Sprach- und Kulturgeschichte der
germanischen Völker, Neue Folge" ; 34 <158>
Published by "De Gruyter", Berlin 1970.  XIII, 584 pages, illustrations,

Bertil, you can tell that it is a book that is the result of
the effort a very professional group with highly qualified
co-workers, because it is in the same series as the "Realenzyklopedie"
if I'm not mistaken. What marks this book as special, is that it
deals specifically with the Goths in their relationship to Scandinavia,
whereas other authors are more concentrated on writing monographs that
cover all of Gothic history, from their mythic origins until
their disappearance from view in Italy and Spain.

I believe this is the same book that was rexommended to me.
At any rate, it was Hachmann on the Goths that was specifically
recommended. I supose they have seen too many people go overboard
in wild speculations and ending up as partial to specific views only.
Whereas this book supposedly takes a balanced view, where the
different views are dealt with in an impartial manner.

>This is all I have managed to find
>out on Hachmann. Noted you have him
>in you biblio in _Goterkaellan_. What
>would, if you still is on the Gothic-L,
>be your opinion on him. Would like
>to get a second opinion to a highly
>Norwegian praise of him.

Why not turn it into "a Norwegian's high praise"
rather than "a highly Norwegian praise" ?

Best regards
Keth