[gothic-l] Choice of Hachmann over Nordgren and Wolfram?

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Jul 7 13:08:47 UTC 2001

Keth,

"Very professional group". I thought Hachmann
was singular, but may be it is a collection
of essays?

What makes Hachmann preferable to Wolfram
for a complete coverage of Gothic history?Or
Ingemar Nordgren's highly professional study
of the _Goterkaellan_(Gothic Source), for that matter, dealing much
with the Gothic-Scandinavian relation?
As far as understand Hachmann
was recommended to you by several Norwegian
professors? So several Norwegians praising
Hachmann, or have I understood you incorrectly?
(Keth recommending (without having read)
with several Norwegian professors recommending
having read Hachmann?).

Just curious "people going overboard in wild speculations".
I understood that Hachmann supports a German origin
of the Goths, or did I miss something?

Gothically

Bertil

I believe this is the same book that was rexommended to me.
At any rate, it was Hachmann on the Goths that was specifically
recommended. I supose they have seen too many people go overboard
in wild speculations and ending up as partial to specific views only.
Whereas this book supposedly takes a balanced view, where the
different views are dealt with in an impartial manner.

Why not turn it into "a Norwegian's high praise"
rather than "a highly Norwegian praise" ?