[gothic-l] Deira and Bernicia

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Sat Jul 7 13:36:52 UTC 2001

>Le,
>
>Sorry I could only help with Deira. Never heard
>of Bernicia.
>
>Gothically
>
>Bertil
>

>>   I am sorry to be off topic, but I am interested in the kingdoms of Deira
>> and Bernicia were they named for Gothic kingdoms. I asked this because of
>> Theodric of the Angles, King of Bernicia is in my database as one of my
>> ancestors. One of his descendants Ealdgyth married Crinan mac Duncan. Crinan
>> was the father of Duncan I,  king of the Scots of Shakespeare fame.
>> Le

Hi Le,
I saw your post within Bertil's reply.
"Bernicia" must be a sort of Latin form of "Bern" (a city)
There is for example a city of "Bern" in Switzerland.
(Kanton Bern)

But in the heroic saga it is often thought to be the same as
"Verona", because the "V" is often the same as a "B" - at least
in legend it can easily change that way. Verona is a city in
Northern Italy, where the Goths used to live. "Theodoric of Bern"
is an important figure in the heroic stories. See the saga which
is called Thidrek's saga, if you can find it. Sometimes also
called "Didriks saga".

Cheers
Keth