[gothic-l] Gutþiuda and the Gothic Calender

Anþanareiks anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 7 14:55:27 UTC 2001

Hails Keþ!

>> So we see in these two examples that "þiud" is a translation of
Greek "etne", which we also recognize in the English word  "ethnic".<<

Good point. The text in which Wulfilas translated was Greek so it is
best, ultimately to understand the original word, to exemplify the
meaning of the Gothic word. Of course, þiud has its own genesis
distinct from etne.
While it seems to have meant in the bible, lit. ethnic people,  it
more probably denotes non-christian people, or ethnic Jews, and
gentiles in general unlike manageins who are looked on a christian or
non-gentiles.
So the use and meaning here, may not be the original indigenous
gothic meaning as it was derived from proto-Germanic origins.

With Wulfilas, Þuidan is the word used for  king,

jah dugunnun goljan ina: hails, þiudan Iudaie!
And began to salute him, Hail, King of the Jews!

>> I find the reference *Gut-þiuda "cal of 23 and 29 oct", which
looks like a calendar reference<<

Here is the reference.
The Gothic Calander:

23 ·kg· þize ana Gutþiudai managaize martwre jah Friþareikei[kei]s.

29 ·kþ· gaminþi marwtre þize bi Werekan papan jah Batwin bilaif.
aikklaisjons fullaizos ana Gutþiudai gabrannidai.

Gutþiduai is thus not a reconstructed word.
The Calander is located:
http://extranet.ufsia.ac.be/wulfila/Corpus/Corpus.html

If nobody minds,
I am going to try to uncover the genesis or origin of goðþjóð,
according to mythic tradition from proto-Germanic times. Being I do
not have the proper pGmc language resources presently such an
argument will be incomplete, but may be interesting non the less. It
will thus not be a full logical proof.
The genesis of the words and their mythic conotations would be:
key words:
þiudo,reiks, frauja, and managein

Anþanareiks